Recognizing the importance of attaining professionalism for school business officials, not only with regard to acquired knowledge and experience, but also in terms of the recognition and respect of peers and other professionals, LASBO’s Board of Directors established its Professional Certification Program in December 1992. In 2010, the LA Charter School Business Professional designation was made available and in 2014, the LA Charter School Business Administrator designation was added.
The Program offers both acknowledgement and recognition for professionals at all levels of school business management. Certification is a way of recognizing those individuals with the background, training, and on-the-job experience to meet recognized standards of professional competence.
Certification is available at five levels:
- Certified Louisiana School Business Official (CLSBO)
- Certified Louisiana School Business Specialist (CLSBS)
- Certified Louisiana School Business Administrator (CLSBA)
- Certified Louisiana Charter School Business Administrator (CLCSBA)
- Certified Louisiana Charter School Business Professional (CLCSBP)
All five levels are equally important. Though the requirements differ for each, no designation is “better” than another. All five require commitment to continuing education and to enhancing skills and knowledge to meet the demands of ever changing schools and their administration in the 21st century.
OBJECTIVES OF CERTIFICATION
- To raise the professional standards of those engaged in school business administration
- To improve the practice of school business administration by encouraging officials to participate in a program of continuing professional development
- To identify individuals with thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of school business administration, related disciplines and the laws governing and affecting schools
- To award special recognition to school business officials who have shown a high level of competence and ethical fitness in their profession
BENEFITS OF CERTIFICATION
LASBO’s Professional Certification Program is a mark of distinction, reflecting the highest honor of professional achievement in school business management. Certification benefits school business officials in several ways:
- Increased credibility in the education community
- Use of the certification initials after one’s name on business stationery, etc.
- Enhanced ability to compete in the job market
All applicants for the CLSBA, CLCSBA, CLSBO, CLSBS, and CLCSBP must meet the following requirements:
- Be a member of LASBO at the time they apply for certification
- Complete the Official Transmittal Form and the appropriate Application form
- Provide documentation of having completed all education requirements for the designation involved; note that 50% of all education course works must come from LASBO sponsored programs.
- Include on the application the school administrator’s certification that:
- The applicant is a school business administrator, business official, or specialist in the business department;
- The areas of responsibility are accurately checked; and
- The other information on the application is accurate
- Submit a letter of recommendation from the superintendent of schools or immediate supervisor recommending the applicant for certification and addressing the person’s integrity, character, ethical behavior, administrative ability, efficiency, and competence
- Meet specific requirements relating to the particular designation sought
- Remit the application fee (see Official Transmittal Form)