DEPARTMENT: Business Office
This position is a full time 12-month assignment in the area of payroll accounting. The primary goal is the accurate reporting of all payroll and employee benefit expenditures and liabilities in the financial statements of the School Board and to state and federal agencies. This is accomplished through efficient and accurate processing of employee salaries and benefits in the general ledger accounts of the School Board. This position ensures appropriate procedures are in place within payroll and employee benefit functions to accomplish these goals. The Payroll Accountant is accountable directly to the Business Director. Salary will be determined within the starting salary range based on depth of qualifications and prior work experience.
- This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from a 4-year college or university and minimum five years of experience in a related role performing or auditing the primary functions of this position
- A working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), fund accounting, and the full cycle of accounting and financial reporting is required
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently with minimal guidance
- Strong analytical and accounting skills
- Excellent verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficient knowledge of computers and intermediate to advanced experience with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, and occasional use of MS PowerPoint
Preferred: Work experience in governmental accounting or auditing
- Reconcile payroll general ledger accounts monthly and for calendar and fiscal year-end close-out.
- Ensure the proper coding of employee salary and benefits to department budgets, general ledger accounts, and funding source, according to the code structure in Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education Bulletin 1929, Louisiana Accounting and Uniform Guidance Handbook (LAUGH)
- Assist in filing positive pay information with bank
- Post general ledger journal entries
- Process monthly payroll deductions and contributions for the accurate and timely payment to employee benefit providers and state agencies
- Review employee group health insurance premium billing reconciliation and employee health savings account contribution reports monthly
- Reconcile account balances with third-party state agencies for accurate application of payments made
- Make timely payment of federal and state withholding taxes in accordance with prescribed statutory deadlines
- Complete and submit IRS Form 941 and state tax and wage reports timely
- Post accurate accruals of payroll liabilities monthly and at fiscal year-end
- Assist in preparing monthly analysis of employee salary and benefit costs, including “budget vs. actual” comparisons.
- Use written and verbal communication with department heads to resolve issues with staffing assignments and communicating budget costs
- Document procedures and workflow for all areas of responsibility and in the areas of payroll and employee benefit processing to conform with GAAP, industry best practices, third-party administrator requirements, School Board policies, and state and federal laws.
- Assist with external audits involving payroll and employee benefits. Prepare requested information and coordinate documentation requests between auditors and payroll staff.
- Assist in preparing information for the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR), including note disclosures (i.e., other post-employment and pension benefit liabilities in accordance with GASB pronouncements) and statistical reports.
- Participate in professional development opportunities in the areas of GAAP, payroll best practices, employee benefits, and accounting pronouncements that impact government financial reporting.
- Provide support and guidance to payroll and employee benefits staff
- Overtime to meet critical deadlines during peak work periods in the annual accounting cycle may be required
- Follow the policies and procedures of the School Board
- Perform other duties and functions assigned by the Business Director
STARTING SALARY: $47,500 – 54,000 annually
Applications must be submitted by providing a resume with cover letter and 3 references by 4:00 PM, on Wednesday, July 12, 2017, to the attention of Juanita Duke, Business Director:
Ouachita Parish School Board
Attn: Business Director
100 Bry Street
Monroe, LA 71210